To make the most of your years at Pasadena City College, it is important to not only focus on academics but to integrate yourself into campus life as well. Becoming a well-rounded Lancer makes the PCC experience a richer and more meaningful one. PCC offers numerous opportunities for students to be involved on campus.
- Join a club (PCC has over 50 active clubs on campus); contact your student government representative Becky Tabares at email@example.com
- Intramural Sports (3 on 3 basketball and ping-pong are open to all students on Tuesdays and Thursdays in W-102 from 12-1 p.m.)
- Student Government (The Associated Students of Pasadena City College meet every Wednesday at 12 p.m. in the Campus Center; agendas are posted in the lobby)
- Volunteer (The Volunteer Center/Cross Cultural Center has opportunities for students to assist in events on campus, i.e. Commencement, Holiday Angels) located in CC-105
- Video game tournaments (we will be having events and tournaments in December, i.e. Madden, Rock Band, etc.) stop by CC-105 for more details
- PCC Student Affairs Hotline (in November we will start having an activities hotline; call 626-585-7803 to find out what is happening in Student Affairs)
Did you know?
- Students can purchase movie tickets (AMC and Regal) at a discounted rate in Student Business Services (Student Bank); stop by B-203 (above the bookstore)
- Students can also purchase theme park tickets (Magic Mountain and Universal Studios)
- MTA and Foothill bus passes are also available for sale
The Office of Student Affairs is located in the new Campus Center in room CC-105 (behind the WiFi Lounge). Stop by to say hello or call 626-585-7384.
Student Affairs Contact Information:
- Dr. Scott W. Thayer (Assistant Dean, Student Affairs) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ms. Rebecca Cobb (Student Affairs Advisor) email@example.com
- Ms. Siria LoVett (Secretary/Commencement/Athletic Eligibility) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ms. Sharon Hinton (Bookkeeper/Office Assistant) email@example.com
- Ms. Tsianina Sturges (Student Affairs Assistant/Campus Crier) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ms. Carrie Afuso (Cross-Cultural Center/Volunteer Center Coordinator) email@example.com
- Ms. Sandra Hill (Project LEAP Coordinator/Mentoring) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mr. Nick Szamet (Flea Market/Auxiliary Coordinator) email@example.com
The most common complaint voiced by students is the impossibility of scoring an appointment with the Counseling Department. With over 30,000 students at PCC and only 17 full-time counselors, persistence and know-how is key to getting one of these coveted spots. During the last academic year, the Counseling Department was able to schedule 28,000 student appointments. Here’s how to make sure you don’t get left behind.
Appointments are available five days a week in L-104: Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. and Fridays from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Appointments are scheduled three times each day in order to accommodate all students’ schedules:
- 8 a.m. (for appointments 8:00 a.m. – 12 p.m.)
- 12:15 p.m. (for appointments 12:30 p.m. – 4 p.m.)
- 4:15 p.m. (for appointments 4:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.)
Counseling appointments can be scheduled up to one week in advance. It is important to note that appointments can only be scheduled during the same time block when the appointment is made (i.e. appointments made on a Monday at 8 a.m. must take place sometime before the following Monday between 8 a.m. and 12 p.m.).
It is highly recommended that students arrive as early as possible for any time block, 30 minutes to an hour beforehand is optimal. Also, don’t forget to bring a photo ID.
Due to the state budget crisis, admission to public universities is more competitive than years past. This means that California’s public universities will be required to reduce enrollment. To be transfer-prepared, Dina Chase, director of Pasadena City College Outreach, Degree, and Transfer Services, urges students to APPLY DURING THE PRIORITY FILING PERIOD.
FALL 2010 priority filing deadlines:
- California State University (CSU): Apply NOW through November 30, 2009
- University of California (UC): Apply November 1-30, 2009
Upcoming Outreach, Degree, and Transfer Services Events:
- Meet with university reps in the Transfer Center (L110)
- Application workshops offered by the Transfer Center
- CSULA Day from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Quad (10/26/09)
- University Night from 5 to 7 p.m. in the Quad (11/4/09).
REMEMBER, THINK TRANSFER!